Ms. Szabo Leads CLHS Through Challenging Times

Symone Farris

Ms. Szabo has been a principal for five years now and she enjoys coming to work every day even though her job can be really stressful. 

Q: What motivated you to become a school principal ? 

A: I honestly never saw myself as a principal, but definitely always saw myself as an assistant principal in a high school. I think this was because I did not have experiences where the principal interacted with the students, and that has always been my favorite part of working in high schools – the students . When this job presented itself and the administration at the time thought I was ready and prepared to handle it, I felt confident that I could do the work and still be a part of interacting with the students as well.

Q: As a principal, what strengths would you bring to the administration of Center Line High School ?

A: I think my visibility and trying to be a part of as much as possible is a strength. I do not like sitting in my office or being behind my desk, so interacting in the hallways, popping into classrooms, and talking to students at outside activities is a strength of mine and helps me to build relationships with students. I also think organization and ability to multi-task is  a strength at this job requires you to be able to handle a variety of departments and situations at a time .

Q: Besides work, what do you do in your free time? 

A: I play tennis at least twice a week, both for practice and competitively. I also like doing puzzles, which I find to be extremely addictive (and actually really easy!). I also like going out to eat with my friends and spending time with my family. 

Q: How long have you been a principal at CLHS ? 

A: This is my fifth year as a principal. 

Q: What was your first impression of Center Line High School ? 

A: This is actually the second time I have worked here in this building. I was a teacher back in 2008-2010 before I began teaching at the International Academy of Macomb. It was nice being able to come back as there were some familiar faces and the building itself was familiar to me, which made the transition to this role not as overwhelming as it could have been. I also love the small community and that many of the families have legacy with the school district . 

Q: What do you like about being the principal? 

A: I love working with the students and helping them grow into young adults. I also like working on curriculum development with teachers and seeing the work being put into practice. 

Q: If you weren’t a principal at CLHS what would be your back up plan ? 

A: I honestly am not sure what I would be doing. Since I was in elementary school, I always wanted to work in education, so if I was not a principal, I think I would still be teaching. 

Q: Have you been a principal at any other schools before Center Line ?

A: No, I actually went from being a teacher straight to a principal.

Q:What do you dislike about being the principal ?

A: The job can be stressful at times, but I honestly love waking up each morning and coming to work each day. It is really important to enjoy what you are doing with a career and I can honestly say I enjoy working here and doing what I am doing.

Q: Does being a principal stress you out? 

A: Yes, it can be a very stressful job. It is difficult not to think about the students and their well-being on a regular basis. From getting to school safely, to making sure while you are in the building things are running smoothly, to getting home, participating in outside of school activities, etc . All of these things fall under my responsibility. With so many areas where challenges can arise, constantly thinking about work can cause stress and worry, but making sure you spend time on non-work things like playing tennis and spending time with family and friends makes the stress manageable.