Mrs. Harris Helps Students Do Their Best in School

Isabella Chang

Mrs. Harris  works with students with students who have problems with their school work. She has been at Center Line for a long time supporting many students in all grades. 

Q: Why did you expect from this type of job when you first started?
A: When I started teaching, I taught elementary school, so I expected to feel a sense of reward and purpose teaching kids hot to read.

Q: Did you have a hard time getting used to kids and adjusting to your new job when you first started ?
A: Yes, it was a bit of an adjustment. I quickly learned that I would need to have a lot more patience!

Q: Was there ever a time when you wanted to quit your job, if so why?
A: No, I’ve never wanted to quit my job. There have been challenging days and times, but never so bad that I thought about leaving the profession.

Q: What made you think taking a teaching job suited you?
A: I knew I like kids and I loved school as a kid so I knew I would enjoy going back as a teacher. I also loved the idea that I could have a positive influence on someone else’s life.

Q: If there were other options than teaching, what job would you have liked to work and why ?
A: I love music and fashion and would find it fascinating to work in either of those industries, but it’s hard to get a job in those fields if you don’t want to move to New York or LA, I knew I didn’t want to do that. 

Q: Was there another teaching job for you before you ever decided to go to Center Line ?
A: Yes, I worked at an elementary school in Jackson, Michigan for three years, and then at Holt High School up near Lansing for one year, and then I came to Center Line.

Q: Was there any benefits of you teaching here at Centerline ? What were the reasons ?
A: Center Line is a small district, and there are advantages to that. There is definitely more of a family feel than my last job. I also love the diversity among students at CL.

Q: At the time you were in high school, did you even consider that teaching was what you were going to do ?
A: No. In fact, I thought I did NOT want to be a teacher. I wanted to go into law or government in some capacity.

Q: Did you ever feel that teaching was getting in the way of your private life ?
A: Teaching does demand a great deal of your time, including evenings and weekends at times. However, having summer off to spend time with my family makes up for the extra time I had put during the school year.

Q: Was going back to school something your younger self would be shocked about ?
A: If you mean going back to school as a teacher, the answer to that is yes and no. I never thought I wanted to be a teacher when I was young, but, looking back, I was good at ¨playing¨ school (I liked going to school, got good grades, and got along well with my teachers), so it’s not surprising that I ended up deciding my career would be in a school setting.

Q: Would you be happy to see your old students who graduate and visit you again in school?
A: Yes, that is one of my favorite parts about teaching!  I love visits from former students and love to hear about their lives and what they are doing.

Mrs. Harris spent many years helping students whether they go Center Line or from another school. Even when she had her baby, she was still worried about her students and deeply cared for them. She is one of the respectable teachers that students and other teachers admire.